I Have a Cracked ToothHEALTH SERVICES BUSINESS OF THE YEAR
Cracked teeth can often be hard to identify as they have a range of symptoms that are similar to other dental issues. However, there are some symptoms to look out for that may indicate a cracked or fractured tooth. If you suspect you may have a cracked tooth, it is important to seek professional treatment as soon as possible to repair the tooth and reduce your risk of further damage.
Symptoms of Cracked Teeth
- Erratic pain
- Pain when chewing or when releasing biting pressure
- Discomfort when exposed to hot or cold foods
A cracked tooth will have pain and discomfort because the inner pulp can become irritated due to moving external tooth pieces. If this continues long enough, the pulp will be too damaged to repair and may require root canal therapy. Sometimes, if your tooth crack is superficial, there will be no pain. This doesn’t necessarily mean that treatment is not needed. A dental professional will need to assess the damage and decide the appropriate treatment necessary.
Depending on the severity and type of crack your dentist may treat your cracked tooth with the following treatments.
If the crack is superficial and not threatening to damage the internal pulp, veneers may be an ideal treatment. Veneers are placed on the front surface of the tooth to cover the crack. Veneers enhance the appearance of the damaged tooth while providing protection from further harm.
- Root Canal Therapy
If your internal pulp has been damaged beyond repair or an infection has occurred inside the tooth you may require root canal treatment. Root canal therapy removes the damaged pulp and disinfects the areas before filling the canal with a special filling material. This strengthens the tooth and reduces the chances of reinfection.
If you have a tooth that is so badly damaged that it will not hold a filling, a dental crown can be used to reinforce your tooth and protect its surface. Crowns are aptly named as they are a large cap that fits over the top of the entire tooth in a similar manner to a crown or hat on your head. Your tooth will need to be prepared before this fixture is placed to ensure your tooth stays uniform in size.
- Dental Implant
In the unfortunate event that your tooth is damaged to the point of needing extraction, Dental Boutique offer dental implants as a treatment method. It is important not to leave gaps in your smile after a lost or extracted tooth as this can lead to further problems. Without the tooth, you may experience movement in your other teeth resulting in gaps and uneven pressure. Teeth are also fundamental for keeping bone structure alive and function – without teeth to provide stimulation, jaw bone recedes causing issues with chewing and speaking. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement method that replaces the entire tooth down to the root.
- Porcelain Veneers/ Porcelain Crowns/ Porcelain Bridges
Generally 2-3 weeks start to finish.
- Root canal therapy
20 minutes to one hour depending on your teeth conditions.
- Dental Implants
Does it Hurt?
We endeavour to ensure you you are as comfortable as possible during treatments and offer sedation options for those fearful of treatment, so you can wake up to your new smile without feeling a thing!
Why Dental Boutique
At Dental Boutique we aim to design simple, pain free and predictable smiles. We are trained in smile makeovers and use technology to create predictable 3D smile design photos and videos personalised for you to help you envision what your smile will look like before treatment.
- We offer all patients carrying out porcelain veneer treatment with us a trial smile where they’ll get to see and test run what the final result will look and feel like. At this stage, the patient is able to give us as much feedback as possible before creating the final porcelain.
- We are one of the few practices in Melbourne with the ability and expertise to offer and perform All On 4 dental implants treatment.
- We offer all patients undergoing All On 4 treatment a Digital Smile Design and trial smile where they’ll get to see and test run what the final result will look and feel like.
- We take the time to assess and treat all risk factors in order for you to be able to enjoy your new smile for many years to come