Thanks to advancements in dental technology, braces have increasingly become more comfortable and discreet. However, the journey to a straighter smile can sometimes involve pain and discomfort.
Braces are most uncomfortable in the first few weeks after they are applied and after each adjustment — but you don’t have to suffer without relief.
This blog will outline how to get rid of braces pain fast, so you enjoy a more comfortable path to straighter teeth.
Rapid Pain Relief for Braces
There’s no single best pain relief method for braces discomfort — both natural remedies and over-the-counter medications work well and affect people differently.
Both can help with tightening pain or general discomfort and provide braces pain relief quickly.
Tips For Braces Pain Relief
How to Get Rid of Pain from Braces
- Ibuprofen or paracetamol: These are reliable options for relief for braces pain.
- Ice pack: Place one in a towel and press it against your cheek for 15-20 minutes at a time. This helps to numb the area and reduce pain.
- Orthodontic wax: A crowd favourite among our patients! It’s common for braces to rub against the inside of your mouth. Orthodontic wax is specifically designed to provide relief for this type of pain. Apply a small amount of wax to the bracket or wire that’s causing the irritation to relieve the discomfort of the braces coming into contact with your mouth.
- Saltwater rinse: Swishing warm salt water around your mouth for 30 seconds helps soothe sore gums and relieve inflammation. Use a teaspoon of salt.
- Eating soft foods: Eating soft, easy-to-chew foods such as soup, yogurt, or mashed potatoes can help alleviate braces pain. Be sure to avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that can irritate your braces and cause more discomfort.
How to Get Rid of Pain with Braces
In addition to the above, there are other things you can try to prevent the need for braces pain relief at all!
- Practice excellent teeth cleaning: Keeping your teeth and braces clean can help prevent gum inflammation and other issues that can cause pain. Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss daily, paying extra attention to the areas around your braces!
- Wear your elastics: If your braces require elastics, be sure to wear them as directed by us. If you don’t, this can cause misalignment and discomfort.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles: This helps prevent irritation and gum recession, which can lead to pain and discomfort.
- Attend appointments regularly: consistent appointments with your orthodontist are crucial. Regular appointments allow your orthodontist to monitor your progress and make adjustments where needed. Your orthodontist can help you get relief from braces pain and ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
More Tips For Pain Relief From Braces
Remember that when it comes to pain relief for braces, not every treatment is equally effective for everybody!
We’ve gone through how to get rid of braces pain with over-the-counter pain relievers, ice packs, orthodontic wax, salt water rinses, and soft foods.
But let’s now take a look at natural alternatives for dealing with braces pain relief in the first week, or for braces pain relief at any stage of your journey.
Natural Pain Relief For Braces
Some patients prefer natural remedies for braces pain relief, so there are several options to consider:
- Clove oil: Studies show clove oil has natural pain-relieving properties and can be applied directly to your affected area with a cotton swab. Dilute the oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil to avoid irritation. This provides quick pain relief after you’ve had your braces tightened.
- The anti-inflammatory qualities of Chamomile tea can help to lessen swelling and provide pain relief from your braces. If you’re feeling uncomfortable, rinse with some camomile tea.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera gel helps soothe sore gums and reduce inflammation. Apply a small amount directly to the affected area for relief.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and can be consumed as tea or added to your food. Try a teaspoon of turmeric powder with warm water and honey for pain relief from your braces.
How To Get Rid of Braces Elastic Pain
Braces pain can occur when elastics are first applied or tightened.
Here are some quick relief tips for how to stop braces pain in this instance:
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers as outlined at the start of this article. This can provide relief for your elastic pain.
- Use orthodontic wax: Apply orthodontic wax to the brackets or wires that are rubbing against your cheeks or lips.
- Eat soft foods: Stick to soft, easy-to-chew foods to minimise discomfort.
- Use ice packs: Apply ice packs or cold compresses to the affected area to reduce inflammation and numb the pain.
The aforementioned over-the-counter pain relievers can also help with fast pain relief.
Remember, it’s important to know that pain is a normal part of your teeth-straightening journey, and it does take time for your mouth to adjust to your new appliances.
Be patient and follow your orthodontist’s instructions for optimal results.
While braces are great for straightening your teeth, they can be painful and uncomfortable to wear, especially during the first few weeks and after adjustments.
But as you’ve learned in this article, there are several effective ways to get relief from braces pain, including over-the-counter pain relievers, natural remedies, and some simple preventative measures.
Natural approaches are a great place to start. Clove oil, chamomile tea, aloe vera, and turmeric all have anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce braces pain. But what works for others may not work for you, so give them all a go.
And don’t forget — some discomfort is normal during your teeth-straightening journey, and it takes time for your mouth to adjust to your new appliances! Be patient, follow our instructions, and don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any concerns or questions.
If you want to start your braces journey with us, book or call now to learn more about how we can help!
We have flexible payment plans for your path to straighter teeth, so talk to us today to learn just how affordable your braces can be.
We hope you now have plenty of tips for braces pain relief to complete your braces journey towards a comfortable and confident smile.