Porcelain veneers have become increasingly popular in recent years – and for good reason!
Many people who struggle with discoloured, uneven or broken teeth may turn to veneers.
Not only can veneers fix common dental concerns, but they can also transform your smile and confidence.
If you’re unhappy with your smile and are considering porcelain veneers, you probably have a number of questions on your mind.
One being, ‘can porcelain veneers break easily?’
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
To answer your question, ‘do porcelain veneers break or chip easily?‘, we must first explore what porcelain veneers are.
Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-coloured porcelain shells that are secured to the front of your teeth to improve their appearance.
As explained above, they can be used to treat a number of dental concerns, including chipped, broken, discoloured, or uneven teeth.
When getting veneers, most people opt for six to eight veneers to create their dream smile. However, if you’ve broken a tooth, one veneer may suffice.
So, Can Porcelain Veneers Break Easily?
Yes, porcelain veneers can break easily if they aren’t properly cared for.
Porcelain veneers require the same maintenance as your natural teeth.
Your natural teeth can break if you use excessive force. The same applies to veneers, as they’re of the same strength as a natural tooth.
Although they’re long-lasting, porcelain veneers aren’t indestructible.
Porcelain veneers can break or chip easily if you bite down forcefully on hard substances (like ice or hard lollies). They are also at higher risk of breaking if they are fitted incorrectly or crafted poorly.
How To Prevent This
To prevent your veneers from chipping or breaking, it’s important that you choose a reputable and experienced cosmetic dentist.
Oftentimes, porcelain veneers break easily due to poor fitting or application by the dentist. That’s why it’s so important to work with a professional, like our highly skilled dentists at Dental Boutique who have transformed over 30,000 smiles.
Assuming your veneers are well-fitted and meticulously crafted, maintaining them isn’t difficult. We recommend following a few simple steps to help with the longevity and quality of your veneers.
- Visit your dentist for regular cleanings and checkups. You should aim to see your dentist at least twice a year; once for a comprehensive checkup and once for a thorough cleaning.
- Avoid eating hard foods like hard candy, ice cubes, or anything else that may jeopardise the integrity of your veneers.
- Consider wearing a mouthguard at night if you tend to grind your teeth in your sleep. Persistent tooth grinding can gradually damage your veneers.
- Avoid engaging in compulsive chewing behaviours like biting your nails or chewing on pencils. Habits like these can put unnecessary pressure on your veneers.
- It’s best to brush and floss your teeth after every meal, or at least twice a day. Gum disease can lead to gum recession, which can ultimately impact the longevity of your veneers. Opt for a soft-bristle toothbrush, preferably an electric one. We also recommend using non-abrasive toothpaste specifically formulated for veneers.
Start Your Smile Journey Today
Remember, although they’re very durable, porcelain veneers can break as easily as our natural teeth.
Taking extra care with your veneers will ensure you have a smile you’re happy with for many years to come.
At Dental Boutique, we listen and collaborate with you every step of the way to achieve the smile of your dreams. Rest assured, you won’t leave our clinic until you’re completely satisfied with your new smile!
If you want to learn more about porcelain veneers or our veneer process, get in touch with us today and book your free consultation.